Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Case Study 4

The Al-Rifa'i Mosque in Cairo Egypt is made of sandstone and is situated in an area that is surrounded by other sandstone buildings and desert. I constructed my model from cardboard to simulate the qualities of sandstone. For the light test I places the model on several different color papers to see how the building would react to the color. The model really didn't do much when interacting with color, it didn't reflect the color or absorb it in any way. When i put in on my carpet which is a lighter brown and my wall which is beige the model acted just how the building does with its surrounding buildings.
For the light study I took a cell phone light that has a blue tint and mimicked the path of the sun. The Mosque is a solid structure and so I made the model very solid as well. Because of this the model cast a shadow that rotated with the light. I also tried a slightly removed artificial light, the model wasn't reflective or anything so it really just absorbed the light. I also sat the model out in semi-direct natural light and it behaved the same. The Al-Rifa'i Mosque cast a very solid shadow and absorbs the light that directly hits it.        
       Sunlight travels over 
Color becomes a camouflage 
Sturdy shadows are cast

No comments:

Post a Comment